The Leslie Center for the Humanities
Opportunities for student funding through the Leslie Center for the Humanities include:
- Student Research Fellowships, which offer up to $1,000 for faculty-supervised research or creative projects in the humanities
- Student Professional Development Fellowships, which provide up to $500 for participation in unpaid internships or attendance at scholarly meetings.
Applications for both Research and Development Fellowships consist of,
- A detailed description of the project or activity for which the funding is being requested (1-2 pages),
- A budget of anticipated expenses, and
- A letter of support from a member of the faculty.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but students should apply at least two months in advance of their need for funds so as to allow for timely planning and purchase of travel. When a fellowship that has been awarded is complete, students are required to submit a brief report of a paragraph to a page in length to describe the fellowship's outcomes.
The Leslie Center also offers three students per year the chance to intern at one of the Thomson Reuters Foundation's many world office (e.g., New York, London).
Two internship tracks are available: print journalism and digital journalism.
The internship lasts ten weeks and its cost -- travel, room and board -- is fully subsidized by the Leslie Center and other Dartmouth sponsors. A call for applications is advertised in Fall term.