The Department of Government offers three Modified Government Majors:
- For those combining Government with Economics, the transcript will read, "Government Modified with Economics";
- For those combining Government with Philosophy, the transcript will read, "Government Modified with Philosophy"; and
- For those combining Government, Philosophy, and Economics, the transcript will read, "Government Modified".
In order to plan your Government Modified Major, please use the following study forms:
- Major Plan of Study Form- Government Modified with Economics
- Major Plan of Study Form - Government Modified with Philosophy
- Major Plan of Study Form - Government Modified
You cannot declare a PPE modified major on DartWorks until you first do the following:
1) Complete one of the study forms above, listing all past, present, and future courses. For the most up-to-date listings of future course offerings, see the Philosophy, Economics, and Government websites. Your future course selections may change, but you must show a complete path through the modified major. ATTENTION: Only study forms currently posted on the Government Department website will be approved.
2) Do not forget to circle one of the "10" courses as a prerequisite.
3) Once your modified major study form is complete, please submit it to Professor Murphy via email for approval: James.B.Murphy@Dartmouth.edu
4) If approved, Professor Murphy will forward your study form to the Department Administrator who can help you declare your PPE major on Dartworks.
5) If you have further questions about these PPE majors or about how to complete your study form, please email Professor Murphy. We can arrange a meeting if necessary.
Apart from these three pre-set modified majors, no other modified Government majors will be approved under any circumstances. This includes both Modified Majors in which Government is the primary component (e.g., Government Modified with History) and those in which it is the secondary component (e.g., History Modified with Government). Students who seek to modify a Major in another department with courses in Government may do so by using the option of a Modified Major without indication of the secondary department (e.g. History Modified).